Monday, May 10, 2010

New-ish Album - The Lightning Seeds "Four Winds"

The Lightning Seeds are back. Ian Broudie, the main man, writer and singer, has had some troubled years with the loss of some close family members. This has unleashed a sadder, dark side to the Lightning Seeds.And I love it.

I've always been a fan. I love the fun Pop they produced, "What If", "Sugar Coated Iceberg" and "Change" are so good!!. When I read they'd recorded something new I was excited. I expected the normal sugar coated pop. I was VERY much mistaken.

The opening track "4 Winds" is a haunting, 60s guitar, string filled look back at Broudie's youth. From the intro's female vocals it's a sad affair, and that continues to when Broudie picks up the first verse. It's a slow, but excellent opening.

Another fine moment is the slightly country styled "Things Just Happened". Though starting like it could depressing, this track has an uplifting twist when the drums kick in towards the end.

Other highlights include "Ghosts" (video below), which is almost The Seeds of old, however, the lyrical darkness changes that. I've read it's written in memory of his Brother, which adds to the emotion of the lyric "The world it turns and now it's turned on you". Great climax to this track, you'll wanna play it over and over........note; amazing backing vocals on this too !!

If you've liked The Lightning Seeds before, you'll LOVE this record. It will, however, be for different reasons than before, as The Seeds have grown up.

"Ghosts" video - sounds a bit dodgy, sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment