Friday, May 7, 2010

Artist Spotlight - Dr Dre

D.R.E from the C.P.T.

Not one person who's into Hip Hop does not know who Andre Young is. The Doc has produced a soundtrack to millions of Hip Hop loving kids who are now around their 30s. Like me for example.

I discovered Dre for myself in a round about way. It wasn't NWA that first caught my ear, nor was it "The Chronic", it was in fact "Doggy Style", Snoop Dogg's debut album. I was 13 (1993) and I'd discovered girls and swearing and this record was my perfect soundtrack. I was no stranger to Hip Hop, my first ever album was a tape of the De La Soul classic "3 Feet High And Rising". But this was different. It was nasty, gritty and really well produced. The beats were fat and bass lines were deep. "What's My Name" was a defining moment for me growing up as well as for Rap music. Loving this album made me want to see where this producer had come from.

I then got "The Chronic" and too my surprise at the time it was BETTER than "Doggy Style".
Tracks like "Nuthin But A G Thang" and "Rat-tat-tat-tat" were so fresh and exactly what I wanted in mid 90s Hip Hop tracks. Not to mention "Bitches Ain't Shit", love that too. "Let Me Ride" was also awesome, and was the best track at the time for the Dre "Hell Yeah" catchphrase.
At this point I was aware of NWA, but thought as they were so "old" that they'd not be good. Silly Me.

Anyway, "2001" came along in 1999. By this point I'd moved away from Hip Hop slightly, not really loving the state of it at that time. This record, though, bought me right back to it. For me this is one of the best , if not, THE best Hip Hop album ever made. From the start with "The Watcher", then to "Fuck You", wow, what could come next to top these two....oh.. "Still Dre".
Now "Still Dre" is the BEST Hip Hop track made so far. I've tried to find other tracks to top it..."Eye Know" De La Soul, No. "What's Golden" by Jurassic 5, Nope. "Shook Ones Part 2" by Mobb Deep, oooh Nearly, but NO.
I love those 3 tracks but "Still Dre" has everything a GREAT Hip Hop track needs. Mean verses, killer beat, Nasty Chorus. Cannot fault it, Hell Yeah !.....Soooo back to "2001", you still have "Next Episode", "Forgot About Dre" and "Murder Ink" !!
What a GREAT GREAT album.

It was at this point I first properly listened to "Straight Outta Compton", Boy of Boy that's a great track. I Like most of the NWA stuff, but nothing hits the same heights.

Now Dre has also produced some awesome acts and records including Eminem's "Slim Shady LP" and most of The Game's "The Documentary". Fantastic backing tracks on those albums even if you don't like the rappers.

I know I've missed out a lot of other production work and "The Wash" album (which has "Bad Intentions" which is another great Dre track) but one thing i won't miss is his remix of the Rolling Stones classic "Miss You" (linked below)

Hopefully this brief look at Dr Dre's solo albums might inspire you to check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment