Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Faves songs as of...NOW !!! (may 5th 2010)

Decided to share my current fave songs at the moment. A real mixed bag! so here goes....in no particular order.

1 - R.E.M "Perfect Circle" From the Album Murmur (1983).
I'm a BIG R.E.M Fan, and I've recently gone back to their really early stuff as before I'd only ever gone back as far as "Document" (1987). This was an immediate fave. Soft and emotional, what R.E.M do best. This piano driven track can be misread as depressing, however it actually makes me feel optimistic, guess it depends on what your feeling at the time you hear it. Michael Stipe, however, does sound a little down during the verses. This track is a bit like "Nightswimming" (from Automatic For The People (1992)) So if you like that you'll LOVE this.. youtube link below. It's not a video, just the track.



2 - Julian Casablancas "11th Dimension" from the album "Phrazes for the Young" (2009).
During a break from The Strokes, Julian Casablancas recorded "Phrazes for the Young", his first solo project. It's a great album and "11th Dimension" is the stand out track. Leading with a killer Synth, and programmed drums, it's very different from The Strokes stuff. The Chorus is euphoric and huge, a real sing along moment!. I could literally listen to this over and over, and sometimes I Do!! You'll never want the Chorus to end, trust me. Link below for the funky video!



3 - Liam Finn "Second Chance" from the album "I'll Be Lightening" (2007)
The son of "Crowded House" singer Neil Finn, Liam Finn has folk music running through his veins. This track is a gentle, yet manic beauty. The intro and verses are soft and haunting, but when the chorus hits it takes a drum frenzied turn. I Love the vocal melody through this track. He's definitely got his old mans song writing skills. Video below.



4 - The Rumble Strips "Girls And Boys In Love" from the album "Girls And Weather" (2007)
A perfect summer party track. Upbeat, fun and simple. Has a hint of "The Cure" track "Close To Me" but is not a rip off!! No Way. Much like the "11th Dimension" (see song 2 above) this track could be on repeat without any complaints from me. Video posted below, however it's just a black screen but you can listen to it anyway.



5 - Gang Starr "All 4 Tha Ca$h" from the album "Full Clip, The best Of...."
With the legend that is Guru passing last month, I've gone back to my Gang Starr records to remember what a GREAT Hip Hop act they were. Amazing. This track was, as far as I know, only a single, but was on the "Full Clip Best Of" album that came out in 1999. With Guru's relaxed, articulate delivery and Premier's Hip Hop defining beats, Gang Starr will have to go down as one of the best, most influential Hip Hop acts ever, and this track backs up that claim !!
GURU - RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment